ABOUT SUMMER SHORTS
New plays since 2007
Summer Shorts is an annual event where audiences can get reacquainted with some of their favorite American playwrights, and discover new talent. The festival features roughly six premiere short plays, 20 - 30 minutes in length, presented as two separate series at 59E59 THEATERS in Manhattan.
Our guiding principles are simple:
- Provide established artists with an artistic summer home.
- Give emerging artists the opportunity to learn and grow.
- Offer audiences a top quality theatrical experience at an affordable price.
Want to submit a play for consideration in our 2018 festival? Please read our submission guidelines carefully. Plays that do not adhere to these rules will not be considered.
- Plays cannot have been previously produced in New York or published (previous workshops and/or staged readings are acceptable).
- Plays should be between 20 and 30 minutes in length (we are not interested in 10-minute plays).
- Plays should not require more than four actors.
- Plays must include a cover page with the playwright’s contact info (email, phone and address).
- Playwrights are expected to attend rehearsals. For that reason we limit submission to writers living in the tri-state area.
- Deadline for submission is February 28th, 2018.
Plays may be submitted electronically in PDF or Word format to: SUBMISSIONS@THROUGHLINEARTISTS.ORG
PREVIOUS festival playwrights
CHRISTOPHER STETSON BOAL
A. REY PAMATMAT
STELLA FAWN RAGSDALE
RUBY RAE SPIEGEL